Anorexia nervosa is characterized by a distorted body image accompanied by an unwarranted fear of being or becoming overweight. Symptoms include repeatedly weighing yourself, trying to maintain a below-normal weight through starvation or too much exercise and eating only small quantities of only certain types of food. Anorexia nervosa has the highest mortality rate of all psychiatric disorders – we say this not to scare you, but to stress how important it is to seek help.
This is not something you can beat alone. At Tapestry, you will be supported by a compassionate and dedicated team of mental health professionals who specialize in eating disorder treatment. We empower our patients so that they can sustain healthy eating habits and behaviors long after their treatment with us has concluded. We at Tapestry can help navigate through your treatment options and deside what one is best for you.
Anorexia Nervosa Symptoms
- inability to maintain a normal weight
- skin that is yellow or blotchy
- more than three cycles without a period
- dry skin
- low blood pressure
How is Anorexia Nervosa Diagnosed
Typically a doctor will do multiple tests and exams to determine the diagnosis. These exams and tests generally are:
- Physical Test: This will include checking your height and weight, vitals, checking your skin and nails, and listening to your heart and lungs
- Lab Test: This is conducted to check your blood count, and your electrolytes and protein. This will also check the functionality of your liver, kidney and thyroid.
- Psychological Evaluation: A mental health professional will ask about your thoughts feelings and eating habits.